- 2 whole wheat pita bread rounds
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice (e.g., sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, pepperoni, basil leaves)
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill: If you’re using a gas grill, preheat it to medium-high heat. If you’re using a charcoal grill, get the coals hot and spread them out evenly.
- Prepare your toppings: While the grill is heating up, prepare your toppings. Slice vegetables, cook any meat you’re using, and set aside.
- Brush the pitas: Brush one side of each pita with a little olive oil. This will prevent the pita from sticking to the grill and give it a nice, crispy texture.
- Grill the pitas: Place the oiled side of the pitas down on the grill grates. Grill for about 2-3 minutes or until they start to get grill marks and become slightly crispy.
- Add sauce and toppings: Flip the pitas so the grilled side is up. Spread an even layer of pizza sauce on each pita, leaving a small border around the edge. Then, add your shredded mozzarella cheese and your chosen toppings.
- Continue grilling: Close the grill lid and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, and the toppings are heated through. Keep an eye on them to avoid burning the crust.
- Season and serve: Remove the grilled pita pizzas from the grill, season with salt and pepper, and add any fresh herbs or seasonings you like, such as basil leaves or red pepper flakes. Slice them into wedges or squares and serve immediately.
Grilled pita pizza is a versatile dish, so feel free to get creative with your toppings and make it your own. Enjoy your homemade, grilled pita pizza!