For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (adjust to your preferred spice level)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- Grated cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, or your choice)
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and jalapeño and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the ground cumin and chili powder. Cook for about a minute to toast the spices.
- Pour in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the frozen corn and black beans to the pot. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the corn is heated through and the flavors meld.
- Stir in the shredded rotisserie chicken and continue to cook until it’s heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Enjoy your Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup with all the delicious toppings for a wonderful combination of flavors and textures.