- 6 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Baguette or Italian bread, sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- Olive oil for toasting the bread
- Fresh mozzarella cheese (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, finely chopped red onion, minced garlic, and chopped fresh basil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil to make the dressing.
- Pour the balsamic dressing over the tomato mixture. Toss everything together until well combined.
- Season the bruschetta with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Allow the bruschetta mixture to sit at room temperature for at least 15-20 minutes. This resting time allows the flavors to meld and develop.
- While the bruschetta is marinating, you can prepare the bread. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Brush the bread slices with a bit of olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Toast them in the preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are lightly golden and crisp. You can also toast the bread on a grill or in a toaster if you prefer.
- If using fresh mozzarella, slice it into thin rounds.
- To assemble, place a spoonful of the bruschetta mixture on each toasted bread slice. If desired, top with a slice of fresh mozzarella.
- Serve your Balsamic Bruschetta as an appetizer or snack. It’s also a great party or potluck dish.
Enjoy this classic Italian bruschetta with the delightful combination of fresh tomatoes, basil, and balsamic flavors!