- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks (string cheese)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (Italian-style breadcrumbs work well)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
- Marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce
- Unwrap the mozzarella cheese sticks and cut them in half, so you have 24 pieces.
- In a shallow dish, place the all-purpose flour. In another dish, beat the eggs until well-mixed. In a third dish, combine the breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Take each mozzarella stick and dip it first into the flour, making sure it’s lightly coated. Shake off any excess.
- Next, dip the floured mozzarella stick into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s evenly coated.
- Finally, roll the cheese stick in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the cheese to adhere. Make sure it’s thoroughly coated. Place the coated cheese sticks on a baking sheet or tray.
- Repeat this process with all the mozzarella sticks. If you want extra crispy cheese sticks, you can double dip by repeating the egg and breadcrumb coating steps.
- Place the coated cheese sticks in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. This helps set the coating and prevents the cheese from melting too quickly during frying.
- Heat about 2 inches of cooking oil in a deep skillet or pot to 350-375°F (175-190°C). Use a thermometer to maintain the oil temperature.
- Carefully add a few cheese sticks at a time to the hot oil. Fry them for about 1-2 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the fried cheese sticks with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the hot Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks with marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Enjoy these delicious and crispy cheese sticks as a tasty appetizer or snack!