- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, or diced green onions
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the ground turkey to the pot. Cook, breaking it apart with a spoon, until it’s no longer pink and is cooked through.
- Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes, allowing the spices to become fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin puree, black beans, diced tomatoes (with their juice), and chicken or vegetable broth. Stir everything together.
- Bring the chili to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. This allows the flavors to meld and the chili to thicken.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. If you prefer a spicier chili, you can add more chili powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Once the chili is ready, serve it hot with your choice of toppings. Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and diced green onions are all great options.
Enjoy your hearty and flavorful Pumpkin Turkey Chili!